Whipped Blanket Stitch is a beautiful stitch that makes the simple blanket stitch really awesome. It adds a beautiful color combination to our versatile blanket stitch.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED?
- Any fabric.
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (I have used the pearl cotton floss for this tutorial)
How many strands of floss do you need for making the whipped blanket stitch?
You can use all 6 strands of the floss. But if you are working on a finer design, then start with 2 strands of floss and increase the number of strands according to your design.
Step by Step pictorial process of working the whipped blanket stitch
1. Start by making a blanket stitch. Take a contrasting color floss and insert the needle at the start of the stitch.
2. Without pushing down the needle, whip it around the blanket stitch.
3. Keep weaving the needle in a similar fashion without piercing the fabric. Work in a similar fashion till the end of your pattern and finally bring the needle down at the end of the blanket stitch.
TIPS FOR WORKING THE Whipped blanket stitch
- It can be worked either from left to right or the other way around.
- You can alternate the length of the stitches by making one short and one long to create a beautiful effect.
WHAT IS THIS STITCH USED FOR?
- Generally, this stitch is used to secure the edges of a blanket or quilt.
- In embroidery, this stitch can be used to make beautiful flowers.
- This stitch can also be used to fill any design.
Check out the video tutorial below
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: