Algerian eye Stitch is a very basic stitch that is easy to make and looks very pretty in any pattern. This is part of the Straight Stitch family. If you know how to work the straight stitch, then you can easily make this stitch.
This is a very beginner stitch that almost anyone can make. It is not complicated and pretty easy to follow. You can form a star-like pattern with this. You will work on a square and make at least 8 straight stitches to make a diamond-like pattern.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED?
- Cotton Fabric
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (Any Color, I used Rangoli 1205, Dual Color)
HOW MANY STRANDS OF FLOSS SHOULD I USE FOR MAKING THE Algerian eye STITCH?
The Algerian Eye Stitch looks best with all 6 strands of floss. You can double the strands if you are working on bigger patterns or reduce them if you are working on smaller designs.
Step by Step photo process of making the Algerian Eye Stitch
1. Make a square on your fabric and divide it in the center like shown above. Push the needle with the thread at point A.
2. Bring the thread up and push the needle through Point B in the center. Point B is very important as all our stitches will be passed through it.
3. Take down the thread and again push the needle through the fabric at point C. That is the middle of the line.
4. Again, bring the thread up at point C.
5. Push it down at point B again.
6. Take the thread down from point B.
7. Again, bring the needle up at point D and pull the thread up.
8. Take it down at Point B. Work similarly on rest of the points E, F, G, H, I.
What is this stitch used for?
- You can make this algerian eye stitch on cushion covers, handbags, frocks or even your coats.
- Working on motifs, you can come up with lots of interesting designs and patterns.
- Place a bead or pearl in the middle at point B and you can come up with an amazing design.
So until next time,