Spider web stitch is also known as woven wheel or woven rose stitch. It is just so easy just like the lazy daisy stitch. The spider web stitch makes beautiful flowers and designs.
It forms a wheel and the thread is woven above the straight stitches like a wheel. It looks like a beautiful flower and hence it is also named as the woven rose stitch.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED?
- Cotton Fabric (Or it can be worked in any fabric. There are no restrictions for making this stitch with any fabric.)
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread
HOW MANY STRANDS OF FLOSS SHOULD I USE FOR MAKING THE WOVEN WHEEL STITCH?
Depending upon the type of design and thread you are using, you can adjust your number of strands. For the below pictorial I have used all 6 strands of floss.
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the Spider Web Stitch
1. Start by making a circle of 5 or 7 straight stitches. Insert the needle at point A from below the fabric. Bring up the thread and make a straight stitch at your desired length at point B. Point B will remain the center of our circle.
2. Pull the thread down at point B and again bring up at point C. Take it down at point B again.
3. Make a circle of stitches.
4. Insert the needle from below the fabric and bring it up at the center at point 1.
5. Start weaving the thread around the stitches by bringing the needle up on alternate stitches.
6. Work around the circle in a similar fashion by bringing the thread up on a stitch and then under. Please check the video tutorial for clear understanding.
Tips for working the spider web stitch
- You can either start with 5 straight stitches or 7 if you want a bigger flower. You just need an odd number of stitches for making this.
- Silk threads or other types of thread work really well with this stitch.
- Try to get the straight stitches of the same length and evenly spaced.
- You can change the color of the threads for a multi-colored flower.
WHAT IS THIS woven wheel STITCH USED FOR?
- Beautiful roses can be made with this stitch.
- You can fill the center with french knots for a beautifully finished flower.
More stitches tutorials:
Check out the video below for the spider web flower tutorial
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: