What you will need?
- Any fabric.
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design) ( You can purchase a set of 6 hoops from Amazon for your basic needs.)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (You can buy this pack of 36 shades of the DMC embroidery floss.)
How many strands of floss do you need for making the Crossed Blanket Stitch?
You can use all 6 strands of the floss. But if you are working on a finer design, then start with 2 strands of floss and increase the number of strands according to your design. I have used all 6 strands of floss for this design.
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the Crossed Blanket Stitch
1. We will work this stitch on 2 parallel lines. Start by bringing the thread up at point A on the upper line. Insert from point B on the lower line to point C on the upper line in a diagonal way like shown in the above picture.
2. Pull the thread up insert the needle from point D to Point E. Note that the stitches will now form a cross.
3. Continue working in a similar fashion for the rest of the design.
Tips for working the Crossed Blanket Stitch
- The stitches are made diagonal which will make the cross design.
What is this stitch used for?
- You can use this as a beautiful border design.
- This stitch can also be used as a filling.
(THIS POST PROBABLY CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY IS REALLY BORING, BUT YOU CAN FIND IT HERE)
- Chain Stitch
- Maidenhair stitch
- Wheatear Stitch
- Fern Stitch
- Cast On Stitch
- Basque Stitch
- Long and Short Stitch
- Trellis Stitch
- Closed Feather Stitch
- satin stitch
- back stitch
Check out the video tutorial below
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: